Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pardon me, Mr. Warrior, have you seen my skin anywhere?

Sally and I visited the Terra Cotta Warrior exhibit at the National Geographic building in DC today. The exhibit was amazing, truly amazing. To think that now, over 2000 years later, modern people cannot reliably create and fire pottery pieces the size of the horses that were found at the excavation site. And the warriors were so detailed, each one unique! The attention to detail was outstanding. I highly recommend the audio tour, both Sally and I got a lot out of it. The final warrior on exhibit was fantastically detailed and realistic as well. I stepped up to take a good look at his armor because, oddly enough, he was not surrounded by an exhibit rail and you could get quite close. As I lean in to inspect the armor details, the warrior suddenly moves! I practically jumped out of my skin. (I may have screamed a bit too, but my recollection is a little hazy.) It was an actor and a darn good one at that. Sally was back a little ways and admits that she jumped too. But then she just stood and snickered while I tried to get a normal heartbeat going again. At least she's a doctor. I'm sure if I actually went into cardiac arrest she would have stopped laughing long enough to do a little CPR. Maybe.

No comments: