Sunday, January 9, 2011

Playing with Matches

Tonight, I helped Gwen play with matches.  Poor Gwen has a pathological fear of matches.  She doesn't like the "fwoosh" of fire when they first light.  She doesn't have the hand strength to get the "child-proof" candle lighters to work either.  This is now a serious problem because she has to prepare, light and tend a campfire in order to earn her FireTender badge in scouts.  So, we have been playing with matches.  Over a sink of water, Gwen and I together have lit match after match to help familiarize her with the whole match lighting process.  She has even transferred the flame to a nearby candle and calmly blown out the match.  We are making real progress and I think she'll be ready to demonstrate her fire-tending skills at the next scout meeting.

Caitlin has absolutely no fear of matches or fire and I think I'd like her to get some, actually.

No comments: