Friday, November 27, 2009

Fairy on the Shelf

I decided to give the "Elf on the Shelf" tradition a go in our house. Only, I wasn't about to buy some cheesy made-in-China-of-who-knows-what-materials elf. So, I got the winter fairy from Magic Cabin, my favorite natural toy catalog. She is so gorgeous, with a light blue sweater and the softest white hair ever. Her name is Crystal Tinselfrost. So, last night I put her on the shelf intending to surprise the girls in the morning. Well, this morning, as I tried to inform the girls that Santa's elf/fairy was going to keep an eye on them, I was promptly informed that I was sadly mistaken. Their points were as follows:
a. This was a fairy doll from Magic Cabin. They know that blasted catalog from cover to cover. This fairy simply did not escape their notice. Any they would like to know where all her accessories are.
b. She doesn't have a real mouth and therefore won't be reporting anything to anyone.
c. Knee and elbow joints are made of buttons, further proof of her not realness.
d. Santa's elves are tiny and invisible. Everyone knows this. As this doll is a good 12 inches and clearly visible, she is NOT, repeat NOT one of Santa's elves.
e. If she is an elf on the shelf and may not be touched, then they can't play with her. This is bad. They sneakily started small. Could they make a house for her out of blocks? (Sure.) Could they make a pillow for her? (Sure.) Could they put her in the house with the pillow? (ok) Can they keep her out to play with forever and FOREVER and not just at Christmas time, please, please, please mom, PLEASE. (oh, good heavens)

I think I lost. We have no elf on the shelf. We have a new fairy toy and her name is Laura.

No comments: