Monday, February 7, 2011

Louder than words

It appears that my little "year of no extra purchases" had more impact on Gwen than any book or lecture could ever have.  Since that year of seeing me window shop for items that I used to love (like shoes) and passing them by saying, "I really don't need that", she has shown a lot more awareness of the difference between want and need than the average 10 year old.  And she really has a good sense of our consumerism affects people.  She understands the concepts of buy-local, fair-trade, and low-impact more than most adults.  She is not oblivious to her responsibility to her fellow human beings like so many pre-teens are.  I am so proud of this young lady that I am raising.  

This is a photo of Gwen opening one of her Christmas presents.  It is a skein of organic and fair-trade yarn from a local (not chain) craft store.  She loved it.  She loved it because it is beautiful, because she loves to craft, and because something that is fair trade and local adds love to the world.

No comments: