Friday, July 30, 2010

I broke my foot

I was planning to take the girls down to the Smithsonian museums yesterday when I had a bit of an accident. While I was loading up the car, I stepped on a pinecone, rolled my foot hard and fell down. My keys went flying. My foot hurt, but I thought it was just sprained a bit. But, it started to really hurt and swell so I got Jeff to take me to the emergency room. The physicians assistant (I didn't see a real doctor) declared it broken at the first glance. An X-ray confirmed it - I broke my fifth metatarsal. Let me just say that it hurts, a lot. Like wow, pass the drugs please, hurt. I don't recommend doing this.
And for irony, we don't have any pine trees in our yard. Jeff took a look and noticed that this pinecone was covered in peanut butter and birdseed. We are guessing that it was some sort of camp project that a neighborhood kid hung in their tree and was then removed and planted on our driveway by some juvenile delinquent squirrel. I have seen our squirrels perpetrate some of the most clever and vicious birdseed related crimes. They are completely qualified to commit this latest act of treachery.

4 comments:

DoctorSally said...

Jennifer!!

So sorry about the foot. Do they have you in a walking cast, a boot or did they make you nonweightbearing? Believe it or not, Motrin or Aleve at their highest daily dose works pretty well for these things. Maybe a little Tylenol with codeine if necessary. Did they give you Vicodin or something because you are probably a little loopy if they did as I remember you saying you were pretty sensitive to meds.

Take care of yourself. I'm sure the girls and Jeff will be a big help. Those darn squirrels!

JenHarper said...

Hi Sally!
I am doing ok. They have me in a walking boot but I really can't put weight on it yet.
The ER gave me percocet which made me dizzy and nauseous but it did kill the pain. I asked the orthopedist for a different prescription and he gave me hydrocodone which doesn't make me sick but doesn't do much for the pain, actually. I will take Motrin if necessary, but that really upsets my stomach. So pretty much, I am on my own pain-wise. I find that distracting myself with movies or activities works the best.
Talk to you soon.

DoctorSally said...

Still going down to Mom and Dad's, right?

JenHarper said...

I hope. Jeff doesn't seem pleased with the idea.