Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ice Skates

Are ice skates "shoes"?
I hope not, because if they are, I broke my "buy no clothing/shoes/accessories" vow. But, to be honest, none of my other shoes will really work out on the ice.
Here's how it started.
Last Saturday, Gwen got invited to an ice skating birthday party. Caitlin was so jealous that I took both her and Gwen ice skating on Sunday. I had such a good time that I went to the 12-2 open session on Monday while the girls were in school. In fact, I went the next day and the next. It was so much fun. And, as we are gym members, it was free except for the skate rental. So, I elimated that problem by buying my own pair. And I was tired of the rental skates chaffing my feet.
I went in with the intention to buy the least expensive beginner skates I could. But then, the salesman gave me his schbeal and asked me some questions. Beginner skates are fine for basically going straight on two feet. "Do you want to jump or spin?" he asked.
"Is the Pope Catholic?" I thought.
"Do bears poop in the woods?" I thought.
"What on earth would I want with skates that only let you go straight-ish?" I thought.
"Heck yes!" I said.
That fact that, any attempt to jump or spin would right now land me on my butt, or in the hospital, or both, not withstanding, I want to learn how to do all those things.
So, now I have what could best be described as "hopeful beginner skates." They were the cheapest pair with a chance of success at jumping or spinning. And now, Jeff and I are both signed up for lessons! I can't wait! Wish me luck!
BTW, Mom and Dad, if you are reading this, rest assured the ice rink is a mere 4.2 miles from the nearest hospital.

1 comment:

DoctorSally said...

I hope you take some video. By the way, I jealous. I recently had a dream about ice skating. Have a great time!